Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Bangs, Braces, & Broken

    We all do embarrassing things as kids. We may have said something stupid, embarrassed our parents, or just been plain immature. The classic one you hear about is little kids cutting their or their sibling's hair.  Small, young, cute little, adorable, 5 year olds just going to town with a pair of scissors-because they didn't know any better. You hear  the stories that at the time are horrifying, and then you laugh about them down the road. It happens to the best of us. 
   Let's rewind to my prime days-7th grade. That's right-7th grade, age 13.  I always had bangs growing up. I curled them under with a round brush every morning. I brushed them every chance I got. Some may call me obsessed, I say I was just hair aware. Also, I had braces for 2 years of my life. Starting middle school, my friend referred to me has having the 3 B's-bangs, braces, and a broken. ( I started 6th grade with a broken leg). I mean I was a real heart throb- oh wait. 
   My mom always  cut my bangs for me. One day,  I asked her to trim them up before school pictures and she told me that she thought it was best if I grew my bangs out. I don't know why that bothered me so much, but suddenly I got defiant.  I was quite the defiant teenager.My bangs were part of who I was! And my mom was not going to take that away from me! So I decided to cut them myself. I locked myself in my room and began to hack away. Do you know how hard it is to make your bangs even? My mom made it look so easy, but 20 min. later I had next to nothing left.  I had jagged strips of hair all up on my forehead. When  I made my first public appearance to my family,, no one said anything. I was waiting for them to ridicule me and make some comment but everyone just ignored the fact that I had butchered my hair and probably my social life. I walked proud just thinking I was the cutest thing around. Then I went to my room and cried. I knew I looked like a fool. None-the-less,  I prepared for pictures.  I did my bangs up the best I could and inserted my Invisiline onto my newly brace free face and  strutted my stuff. Me and my Invisiline smiled pretty for the camera.
   My parents never bought any of our school pictures until this one. It still is in my home today. I am pretty sure my mom has it just to prove a point and to remind me that mother always knows best. 



2 comments:

  1. Yeah pretty much I'm in love with you. And this picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hair aware. ha!
    oh how i love you for making me laugh.

    ReplyDelete