Sunday, June 30, 2013

Dreamboat Abby?

This week my family is at the beach. Oh gosh, how I love the beach! But, who doesn't? I now have been from coast to coast with the beaches. Although, I loved the golden sand of CA, nothing beats the Nicolas Sparks tall grass, sand dune beaches of the Carolinas. 
On the way to the beach, my dad played us one of our family favorite songs, "Dreamboat Annie" by Heart. If you have never heard the song, it goes like so: 


As a child, my father used to play this song to calm us down when we were upset. It all started with my sister, Amy. When she was in the car with my father, he would play this song and when the chorus came on he would sing over the right words with a boisterous "Dreamboat Amy!"
On days when I was in the car my father would do the same thing. However, when the chorus came on, he would sing over the words with his own version of the song, "Dreamboat Abby!"
For years, and I mean years, my sister and I always thought the song was individualized to us. It can make a girl feel real special, ammIright?

My dad was careful never to play the song when we wer both in the car. But, one day it came on the radio. "Oh, turn it up!" I remember saying. There Amy and I were, jamming so hard to our "special song". My dad was fairly quiet. When the chorus came, I sang-what I thought were the right words- Dreamboat Abby! Only to be covered up by my sister singing Dreamboat Amy!
WTHEEEE?!! WAIT A SECOND!?

We both turned to our father. A man we trusted! 
"Dad," Amy said, "tell her what the right words are"
"Yeah, dad" I chimed in, "Tell her how they say Abby!"
Silence.

My mom laughs. "Yeah, John. Tell them"

We shortly found out after the song was actually Dreamboat Annie. For a while we hated the song after that. Now, it's a great joke in our family. 
FYI I still sing Dreamboat Abby. 
It just sounds so much better than Annie. 

1 comment: