Monday, April 30, 2012

Moments that Matter Most

Today my family received some tragic news. A family in our ward loss their son to suicide. This young man was my brother's age, his father worked with my father, and his younger siblings were in my mom's class at school. Truly a sad day. This news humbled me and got me thinking about my life, as news like this usually does.

 Often in life we are hesitant. Hesitant to do what we want to do and say what we want to say. We procrastinate. We put things off until tomorrow and then the next day. Usually, we make sure that tomorrow never comes, simply because we don't want to face the unknown. Some things are easier to avoid than address. We think that if we avoid something or ignore it, then the problem will go away. But, it doesn't. We need to slow down. We need to remember what matters mosts. And take nothing for granted. We need to not procrastinate, but be anxious to accomplish all that we can.  If you love someone, tell them. If you fail, try again. Life is too short to pass us by without stopping to smell the roses.



I recently watched the movie We Bought A Zoo. In the movie the dad continuously says, 

"Sometimes all you need is 20 seconds of insane courage."

This is my new motto and I encourage you to make it yours. It only takes 20 seconds of being brave to develop a desire to accomplish the tasks we want to, to say the things we want to say, and to change the life of someone else. In 20 seconds we can make decisions that will change us in good and bad ways. In 20 seconds we can learn things we never knew. In 20 seconds of courage we will find the moments that will matter most. 






1 comment:

  1. What horrible horrible news. My thoughts and prayers are with you and that family Abby.

    ReplyDelete